It looks like humanity is starting to trust each other less and less, with fears of others around the world, and even our next-door neighbors, growing. As experts have moved the Doomsday Clock closer to midnight, doomsday preppers can feel some relief knowing that they aren’t overreacting.
While some preppers might be spending lavishly in the event of the world coming to an end, you don’t need to be one of these people. Realistically, you can prepare for the apocalypse by setting aside some basic supplies, all of which will not end up breaking the bank. What you want, more than anything, are supplies that will support you and your family: weapons, medical supplies, clothing, food, water, and alternative heat sources.
These items are required supplies for any doomsday prepper, as you want to have all of the necessary pieces for survival set aside. Yet, these items are not only good for your own survival; these supplies can also be used to help others survive, while also paying for your own protection as well. Through bartering (”trading supplies or goods with another person, either as a form of payment or aid or as a trade for other items”) you can effectively ensure the protection of others while also making sure you and your family are prepared. When it comes to bartering, what are some of the most sought-after items of others? Here is a list of our most recommended items:
- Antibiotics: Almost any person will clamor for antibiotics in the event of the apocalypse, as they will help to fight against bacterial infection, which could either lead to more bacteria growing or, at worst, to death.
- Bandages: Like the above, bandages will be especially appreciated in the apocalypse for their ability to protect wounds from infection, while also providing pressure to help alleviate bleeding.
- Painkillers: If there is one thing people will appreciate, it’s a means to reduce pain. Basic painkillers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen can provide necessary relief from headaches, fevers, physical pain, and more.
- Vitamins: With little food available that can still be eaten, it can be assumed that people will have poor nutritional health. Vitamins will be greatly desired, as it will be a way to keep one’s health at a moderate level, keeping the body running as it should.
- Basic Medication: If you have any medications that others require or have become used to taking, from Prozac to insulin, Vicodin to Lipitor, these can be expected to be treated like money. People who either physically or mentally require these medications would likely be willing to trade whatever they can to get their hands on these.
Weapons and Tools
- Wood, Nails & Screws: These items are especially important for anyone requiring shelter and protection. In a pinch, some screws and nails can be helpful for someone needing to repair their home, while lumber will always be appreciated.
- Guns: Are you really in need of a big favor? A gun will be the likely item to get anyone’s attention following Doomsday, as physical protection is one of the foremost items a person will seek out.
- Ammunition: If you’ve already offered someone a gun, you might as well up the offer by providing them with the ammunition to go with it. If you know they have a weapon but are out of ammo, a case of bullets will be sure to get their attention when you need it.
- Knives & Saws: Whether used for woodworking, hunting, cooking, or protection, a knife and saw will go a long way. Because these items can be used for various purposes, they are almost required by anyone trying to make it following Doomsday.
- Flashlights, Matches, Lighters & Candles: Whether for protection or lighting, these items will help people move through the night in the event that popular electrical systems give out. Furthermore, they can be especially used to create fires if no flint is around.
- Precious Metals: In the event of Doomsday, the USD is expected to crash. For this reason, you’ll need some other form of currency to protect yourself. The most notable, historical choices are precious metals, including gold coins, silver bars and more. These items are sure to make for a fair trade, as people are unlikely to forget the value of gold and silver items. If you’re not looking for gold and silver, copper items can also go pretty far, as they can be melted down for mechanical uses.
- Liquor or Coffee: This might seem strange, as these are not required for survival, but people will still latch on to favored items of the past. Liquor, beer, wine and spirits and coffee can help to soothe someone’s soul, making them relax and think of a simpler time.
- Tobacco: Similar to liquor or coffee, tobacco isn’t required for survival, but people who are either addicted to it or who once were would be hard-pressed to say no to the offer of a cigarette.
- Canned Food: If someone has run out of food, or are running short, they are in trouble. Providing them with the possibility of food will be a certain way to gain the concentration of someone whose help you need.
- Water Purification Devices: Clean water will be hard to come by if the doomsday event is environmental. By offering someone a water purification device, you are providing them with an item that will keep them hydrated for some time to come.
- Clothing, Blankets & Shoes: Shelter, warmth, and comfort: Clothes and wearable gear are necessary to protect oneself from the elements. Offering someone a fresh set of clothes, blankets, and shoes will be nothing short of a godsend, as you’re providing them a means of keeping comfortable even in the worst environments.